Committee of the Regions Visit Ocean Kinetics
Ocean Kinetics were visited by regional and local leaders from across Europe on Friday 09th September.
The delegation from the Committee of Regions, the EU's assembly of local and regional authorities to discuss the challenges faced by islands and remote communities and the opportunities offered by EU support strategies.
Ocean Kinetics Founder and Managing Director John Henderson took the group on a tour of Ocean Kinetics purpose built workshop, stores and offices. He also talked with the group regarding the unique challenges and opportunities operating in Shetland pose to businesses and what steps he and the company had taken to place Ocean Kinetics at the forefront of engineering and fabrication locally.
John also answered questions from the group and outlined how Ocean Kinetics aren’t held back by being located in Shetland, having secured contracts with the oil and gas industry and burgeoning renewables industry locally as well as winning tenders for work on the UK mainland and as far afield as Jordan and Antarctica.
The visit was co-organised by the Shetland Island Council and Cllr Gary Robinson said: “It has always been difficult to explain to anyone from out with the islands the unique circumstances that exist in Shetland; so I’m delighted that the COTER Commission of the Committee of the Regions agreed to hold this seminar here, not only have delegates from all across Europe had the chance to see at first hand the challenges that exist in one of Europe’s most remote archipelagos, they could also share experiences and discuss how such barriers to economic development can be overcome."
More News Stories
- Ocean Kinetics Appoints Contracts Manager Find Out More
- Ocean Kinetics signs up to the Scottish Aquaculture Consortium. Find Out More
- Hurricane hits Ocean Kinetics. Find Out More
- Ocean Kinetics to host Marine Energy Lecture. Find Out More
- Sullom Voe Terminal in the Early Years Find Out More
- A short article for the Shetland Energy Showcase. Find Out More
- Scottish Government Minister Jamie Hepburn Visits. Find Out More