Ocean Kinetics lecture success
Ocean Kinetics recently hosted Dr Geoff Booth from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers who gave a lecture on Lessons from Catastrophic Weld Failures.
Held in the main auditorium of the Shetland Museum, the event attracted a large cross section of attendees from the Shetland engineering sector. The recently formed Shetland branch of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers supported the event and several members were also present.
The lecture reviewed catastrophic welding failures in bridges, boilers, ships and offshore structures, drawing lessons and illustrating where these lessons have been used to develop current engineering practice & design.
Ocean Kinetics Business Development Manager Derek Leask said:
“Geoff’s lecture was interesting and informative and generated much discussion which was evident in the question and answer session. We were pleased to see such a high calibre of engineering talent present. Ocean Kinetics want Shetland to be seen as centre of engineering excellence and these type of events helps this objective. We will certainly be looking to host a similar event in the not too distant future.”
Dr Geoff Booth, CEng FWeldI, is a welding expert with over 30 years’ experience. He has a degree in Metallurgy from Cambridge University and a PhD from Birmingham University. He is a Chartered Engineer, member of IMechE and a fellow of The Welding Institute. He has provided consultancy services to the industry and managed research projects through the TWI. He also teaches International Welding Engineer courses and is involved with the Open University.
More News Stories
- AHS Graphic Communication Students Visit Ocean Kinetics Find Out More
- Engine Sole Plates Manufactured for Kirkwall Power Station Find Out More
- Modern Apprenticeships Completed Find Out More
- Ocean Kinetics sponsors Shetland Boat Week 2019 Find Out More
- New Electronic Pressbrake Machine Find Out More
- Ocean Kinetics awarded West Burrafirth Cathodic Protection contract Find Out More
- Antarctica Project Underway Find Out More